Our users’ privacy is extremely important to us.
- Anything you post to Attentiv is private to your organization. Viewing the messages within a specific organization requires authentication as a member of that organization.
- Organizations own their data. Attentiv is the custodian of data on behalf of the organizations that use Attentiv. We don’t own organization communication data.
- We try to make our product easy to use, with settings and options that are easy to find and understand. This is good for privacy, good for the product, and good for Attentiv customers and users.
Effective: July 16, 2015
This policy describes how Attentiv treats your information, not how other organizations treat your information. If you are using Attentiv in a workplace or on a device or account issued to you by your employer or another organization, that company or organization likely has its own policies regarding storage, access, modification, deletion, and retention of communications and content which may apply to your use of Attentiv. Content that would otherwise be considered private to you or to a limited group of people may, in some cases, be accessible by your organization owner or administrator. Please check with your employer, organization owner or administrator about the policies it has in place regarding your communications and related content on Attentiv.
In this policy we talk about various roles within an Attentiv organization and the privileges that come with each. It’s helpful to understand these roles and the relationships between them. Organization administrators are the people who established your Attentiv organization and they are considered the primary administrator with the most control over your organization (which is why it’s not a good idea for this person to be a contractor or temp employee). Primary administrator status can be transferred to another user after the organization is created (just message us at firstname.lastname@example.org). Organization members have fewer controls than the administrators, but still have the ability to create meetings and add other members to the organization.
Information we collect and receive
We collect different kinds of information. Some of it is personally identifiable and some is non-identifying or aggregated. Here are the types of information we collect or receive:
- Organization information. When you create an organization on Attentiv, we collect your email address (as the organization owner), your organization name, your user name that appears in your Attentiv organization, and password. Optionally, you can provide an email to allow people on that domain to sign up for your organization without an invitation or individually add email addresses for people you’d like to invite to your organization.
- Account and profile information. The only information we require to create your Attentiv account is your name, email address, organization name, and password. Optional information you can enter into your profile includes information such as your location, what you do, and your age.
- Billing information. We collect billing address and credit card information if you purchase a premium version of Attentiv. Credit card information is securely passed to our payment-processing partner and is not stored at Attentiv.
- Log data. When you use Attentiv, our servers automatically record information including information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website or your mobile app sends when you’re using it. This log data may include your Internet Protocol address, the address of the web page you visited before coming to Attentiv, your browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, information about your browser configuration and plug-ins, language preferences, and cookie data.
- Device information. In addition to log data, we may also collect information about the device you’re using Attentiv on, including what type of device it is, what operating system you’re using, device settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data. Whether we collect some or all of this information often depends on what type of device you’re using and its settings.
- Geo-location information. Precise GPS from mobile devices is collected only with your permission. WiFi and IP addresses received from your browser or device may be used to determine approximate location.
- Attentiv usage information. This is information about which organizations, channels, groups, people, features, content, and links you interact with within Attentiv and what integrations with related services you use.
- Service integrations. If you integrate on Attentiv we will connect that service to ours.
- Depending on organization settings, organization members may be able to add integrations to an organization.
- We do not receive or store your passwords for any of these services.
- You can remove an integration at any time which unbinds that integration on a go-forward basis. That does not, however, delete the content that was received from them and indexed within Attentiv. That content must be deleted manually.
- Communication content that you send and receive within Attentiv. This includes:
- The message content itself. This content can include messages, pictures, files and video among other types of files.
- When messages or files were sent and by whom and when or if they were seen by you.
- Information from partners or other 3rd parties. Attentiv may receive information from partners or others that we could use to make our own information better or more useful. This might be aggregate level information about which IP addresses go with which zip codes or it might be more specific information about how well an online marketing or email campaign performed.
Cookies are small text files sent by us to your computer and from your computer to us, each time you visit our website. They are unique to your Attentiv account or your browser. Session-based cookies last only while your browser is open and are automatically deleted when you close your browser. Persistent cookies last until you or your browser delete them or until they expire.
Some cookies are associated with your Attentiv account and personal information in order to remember that you are logged in and which organizations you are logged into. Other cookies are not tied to your Attentiv account but are unique and allow us to do site analytics and customization, among other things. If you access Attentiv through your browser, you can manage your cookie settings there but if you disable all cookies you may not be able to use Attentiv.
Attentiv sets and accesses our own cookies on our company-owned domains. In addition, we use 3rd parties like Google Analytics for website analytics. Google Analytics provides their own opt-out. We do not currently recognize or respond to browser-initiated Do Not Track signals as there is no consistent industry standard for compliance.
How we use your information
We use your information for the following:
- Providing the Attentiv service. We use information you provide to authenticate you and deliver message content to you and from you
- Understanding and improving our products. To make the product better we have to understand how users are using it. We have a fair bit of data about usage and we intend to use it many different ways to improve our products, including research. This policy is not intended to place any limits on what we do with usage data that is aggregated or de-identified so it is no longer tied to a Attentiv user.
- Investigating and preventing bad stuff from happening. We work hard to keep Attentiv secure and to prevent abuse and fraud.
- Communicating with you
- Solving your problems and responding to your requests. If you contact us with a problem or question, we will use your information to respond to that request and address your problems or concerns.
- Email messages. We may send you service and administrative emails, such as when we notice that you are nearing a message or integration limit. We may also contact you to inform you about changes in our services, or our service offerings. These messages are considered part of the service and you may not opt-out of them. In addition, we sometimes send emails to Attentiv users about new product features or other news about Attentiv. You can opt-out of these at any time.
When you use Attentiv, you have control over a number of things with respect to your own privacy and choices about how your content is visible to others or not. If you are an Attentiv organization owner or administrator, you have additional choices that impact your organization’s privacy. Some users will not have access to all of the same choices that their organization owner(s) or administrator(s) do. That is because Attentiv is set up to be organization-oriented, and provides organization owners with the maximum ability to control their organizations.
Choices for Organization Members
- Depending on your organization settings, you may have the ability to delete some or all of your meetings and to deactivate your account. Deactivating your account, however, will not remove meetings you created before you initiated deactivation as those meetings will still be valuable to your organization.
- You can update your profile information at any time and modify your email settings. You can also change your user name from time to time.
- When you upload a document or a file on Attentiv, you can decide where to share it and with whom. You can also share documents with your entire organization, or in private groups. You can also share them externally by creating a public link if you choose.
Choices for Organization Owners and Administrators
- Administrators have the ability to manage and change most of the organization settings. Administrators can also disable member accounts for their organization.
- Only a primary administrator can delete a organization.
- For more about these privileges, choices, and permissions, see our Resources page.
- The browser you use may provide you with the ability to control cookies or other types of local data storage.
- Your mobile device may provide you with choices around how and whether location or other data is shared with us.
Sharing and Disclosure
There are times when communications and related content and other user information may be shared by Attentiv. This section discusses only how Attentiv may share user information. Organizations that use Attentiv may have their own policies for sharing and disclosure of information they can access through Attentiv. Attentiv may share information:
- With consent, to comply with legal process, or to protect Attentiv and our users. When we have your consent or if we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety, rights, or property of the public, any person, or Attentiv; or to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues. If we receive a legal or law enforcement request for information we will do our best to notify the subject of the request if we are able.
- About you with your organization administrator(s).
- We may share your email address and organization name with your organization. If the email address under which you’ve registered your account belongs to or is controlled by an organization (to be clear, we’re not talking about free web-based email providers like Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo! Mail) we may disclose that email address and associated organization names to that organization in order to help it understand who associated with that organization uses Attentiv, and to assist the organization with its enterprise accounts. Please do not use a work email address for our services unless you are authorized to do so, and are therefore comfortable with this kind of sharing.
- In addition, there may be times when you contact Attentiv to help resolve an issue specific to a organization you are a member of. In order to help resolve the issue, we may need to share your concern with your administrator. When possible, we will try to mask or remove any identifying information before sharing these communications.
- That is aggregated and non-identifiable. We may also share aggregated or non-personally identifiable information with our partners or others for business or research purposes. For example, we may tell a prospective Attentiv customer the average number of messages sent within a Attentiv organization in a day or may partner with research firm or academics to explore interesting questions about workplace communications. Again, this policy is not intended to prohibit the disclosure and use of aggregated or de-identified data.
Attentiv takes reasonable steps to protect information you provide to us as part of your use of the Attentiv service from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access or disclosure. When you enter sensitive information (such as sign-in credentials) we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). We follow generally accepted standards to protect the personal data submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no electronic or email transmission or digital storage mechanism is ever fully secure or error free.
Attentiv is not directed to children under 13. If you learn that a minor child has provided us with personal information without your consent, please contact us.
We may change this policy from time to time, and if we do we’ll post any changes on this page. If you continue to use Attentiv after those changes are in effect, you agree to the revised policy. If the changes are material, we may provide more prominent notice or seek your consent to the new policy.
1751 Pinnacle Drive
McLean, VA 22102